Another Game

The blog began with football, but frankly, I'm tired of that game. I am not an athlete, never claimed to be one. Yet, for some reason, I'm still playing games....maybe I'll try baseball now. I was brought up loving the White Sox and married a devout Cubs fan. I root for both- so unlike a Chicagoan, I know. I also sat in the bleachers of countless games my brother played. I know a little bit about this sport, more than football. So, I retire my pads and helmet and take out the bat and glove. Lord knows, I need some wins.

Bridget has faced a very difficult month. Her seizure activity continued, the doctors went back and forth with meds and their doses, upping this, taking this away. Nothing seemed to help and she was getting worse. Bridget was losing motor ability and not only shaking, but unable to walk and feed herself. We learned that the 1st Mitochondria Myoclonic Epilepsy test was normal. Not great news. But despite that, our primary neurologist and ped neurologist wanted more done. Why was she deteriorating so quickly? We stayed in the hospital for a few days (Rush) and had continuous EEG monitoring, a skin and muscle biopsy, a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) and took her off some of her medication. I went back with her for a follow up on Mar. 31st. Not wanting to sit around and watch her suffer, the doc prescribed steroids (Prednisone) to help her. Often times this is tried when regular anti seizure medication does not help. Within 3 days (she started last Sat, the 4th), she began to walk again. Bridget took our hands and tried to dance, started exploring her toys and engaging in activities at school. Dr. Smith's words, "Praise the Lord!" She is eating well (hunger is a side effect of the drugs, as well as a host of others). Although it is a minor miracle, we still breathe cautiously. Everyday is new to us and we don't know where it will take us or Bridget. We now await the test results from Rush. Our next appointment is April 20th. We hope to have more information, perhaps even a diagnosis of what Bridget is dealing with. All we know is that the doctor said progressive and degenerative. Not a lot of happiness in those words.

We're keeping the roster full, playing the field and trying to swing the bat. We've hit a couple singles despite the unfit weather conditions. The Easter Bunny came and gave us lots of sweets. I feel fat just looking at them!

As for my health, I FEEL terrific. However, the drug herceptin has caused me a bit of heart damage. This is not uncommon. SO, no more IV drips for me- I finish early for my regular visits to the oncologist. Luckily, I have no symptoms of decreased output of the left ventricle and only need to be on some heart medication to help strengthen it. I'll have a follow up echo at the end of June. Hopefully, everything will be back on track. I plan to have my surgery on July 9th. I feel a bit sore as the reconstruction continues and am ready to get the next part over.

Hope you enjoy the pics. Thank you for always keeping Bridget in your prayers.
Let's get some runs!

No comments: