On the Mend

Tomorrow is three weeks since surgery. There's a lot to be grateful for....as Dave mentioned- no cancer was found in the pathology report from surgery. Yippee! Yet, like all good news, we must be conservative in our response. I am happy and it's a relief, but after talking to my surgeon, oncologist and now newest doctor, radiation oncologist, I must forge ahead with radiation. As the RO (radiation oncologist) explained, I am a difficult case because of the great pathology report. Yet, when looking at the statistics of my "disease" I qualify for radiation. Four areas he mentioned are: the tumor and outlying areas with disease were 5 cm or greater, there were four positive lymph nodes (they're guessing on this since I didn't have them removed before chemo), the cancer was grade 3 in nature and last, I was Her-2 positive: cancer growth is aggressive when in my body. So those are the stats and I qualify. Not the best news I got on Friday, but it could be worse. I will start my 5 1/2 week stint of radiation in mid October. Reconstruction goes on hold while I do so, and the time line of the whole process is prolonged.

Currently, recovery is slow. I guess I anticipated it to be somewhat like having a baby. A couple weeks of slow moving, but otherwise quick to heal. The 6 week hiatus from work in those days was (now that I look back) very much centered around caring for an infant. Well, guess I personally qualify for that role now. I am still slow and sore and 1 of 2 incisions are lethargic in healing. Mobility of my arms is improving, but no rehab yet until I completely heal. I go for weekly check ups with the PS. I enjoy sleeping late, but not on my back each night. I am growing eyebrows, eyelashes and even some hair on my head. The color is yet to be determined, which I'm sure I'll color as soon as possible! Dave is truly amazing in his roles as Dad and Mom. The kids are doing well, our nanny is spectacular and I've had lots of helping hands. I have no pride left in asking for it, that's for sure. When one is in this situation, you just get over it!

I'm ready for the new season of football and like that old Packer guy, I plan on being resilient.
As always, thank you for reading, thinking of, praying for and just being here for me. A special thank you for those of you who participated in the Susan G. Komen 5K in Chicago on Saturday in honor of me. I am humbled and touched by your generosity.

2 comments:

sdowning said...

Sara,

I am keeping tabs on you through Cindy H. and thinking of you EVERY day. I have been reluctant to call as I know you are busy getting better! I hope we can talk soon. I know you will go through radiation with the same strength and grace you have shown throughout. Keep that chin up and know I'm thinking about you!
Hugs,
Sharon

Unknown said...

Sara,
Thank you for the update- as always you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am here for whatever you need whenever be that continuing to pray or talking on the phone, or helping with the kids, whatever.

Love and Peace,
Bev