October Goes

Hard to believe it's almost the end of October. I have literally been stuck in a time warp, especially being at home. It's only been a week since feeling somewhat normal. We even went out this weekend to a party. I honestly can't remember the last time I did that! I'm sleeping on my side (ever so carefully) and have kicked the surgical harness(aka- my sports bra) on occasion. Like I said, as close to normal in a long, long time.

Even though the past week brought on a feeling of normalcy, it certainly didn't begin that way. My plastic surgeon decided to perform a procedure (surgical, actually) on my lethargic, naughty left incision. Last Tuesday, Dr. Kouris cleaned the wound and gave me 18 external stitches, which I did not have before. Amazingly, the wound began healing immediately, yet I get the stitches out in a week along with a "fill." As Sheila the nurse said, "a twofer" on that visit (Oct.27). After this 3rd fill, I hope to have one more before beginning radiation. Because once that begins, I am on hiatus for reconstruction. Not to mention, the skin may turn on me becoming less flexible. Time will tell and I still do not have the exact date on the beginning of radiation. IF, and that's a big one, I begin mid November I could be finished by Christmas. That would be the best gift I could get. Well, one at least....

Bridget continues to have her roller coaster ride with medication. As we are introducing her third medicine, she's on a temporary daily dose of Valium (VERY small). First off, we can't administer the 3rd medication too quickly because of the side effects. Second, she's had some atonic episodes at school- falls where they happen out of the blue. They have documented at least 4 bonks on the head. That's why we needed a temporary medicine to mellow her out and keep her focused. It has helped, yet I don't think they'll keep her on this long. She's been really good at home- very absorbed in toys and books, eating well and asking/signing for help more often. Dave and I are very happy for her. Yet, as her birthday looms I can't help to think of where she actually is (that and we got very detailed report from the developmental pediatrician). Someone appropriately nicknamed that position Dr. Doom and Gloom. She pinpoints the level of development of Bridget and it isn't very positive....very delayed. Nothing new to us. The reality is with us everyday. We're doing what we can to solve this seizure disorder. This would be the very best gift.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of our trip to the pumpkin patch. The kids had a great time and it was beautiful. Like I said, normal. It feels good.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hey! Just wanted to say hi! I'll be praying for your radiation situation - that you will be done by Christmas and for Bridget - that things will stabalize! I am glad you are seeing some normalcy (sp?) in your life. That is the best! Talk to you soon. -Kim McBride