6 to Go and Chemo No More!

Well, I've completed 6 rounds of taxol- the chemo drug (along with herceptin)and have only 6 more infusions to go. Yahoo! Although the side effects have been less harsh than my first set of drugs, they do "strip" me of a few things, namely my eyebrows and eyelashes. Ironically, there is fuzz growing on top of my head. It's stranger than strange how these drugs effect your body. I often feel like a science experiment, (more like a lab rat) waiting for the results to appear (or in this case-disappear). Either way, I am getting tired- literally- of the run down feeling a couple days after treatment and as my energy rises the rest of the week, it hasn't been the same since before this whole ordeal began.

Tomorrow, Monday, I visit the plastic surgeon, Dr. Kouris, who will work along with my surgeon, Dr. Witt. They are tentatively planning my surgery for September 9. It feels very imminent and I feel grossly unprepared. I hauled out Dr. Love's Breast Book, which I got the day of my biopsy when my first surgeon actually told me before the pathology report came back that I had cancer. Despite her certainty, I haven't read much on the surgery part of this whole plan. I now get a crash course in reconstruction, saline, silicone, drains, rehab. I imagine there will be more to report after tomorrow's meeting. Although I will search the Internet highway and read my Breast Bible (that's what Dr. Love's book looks like,) I'm counting on the fine doctor to explain my many options.

So, as always more news to come from my feeble experiences. Just trying to keep my head in the game and eyes on the summer, esp for my family. I hear The Battle Hymn of the Republic playing somewhere around here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There is the light! At the end of the tunnel! You are getting closer and closer. We will send a little extra energy your way to help with those lows if we can!

Continuing to cheer,
Bev

Pete and Anola said...

Hi, Sara: Just wanted you to know we're sending good thoughts and prayers from Kansas City.
--Pete and Anola

Terrie S said...

Hi, Sara! Thanks for the update! Sure are thinking of you! See you in August! Love, Terrie and Pete