SOOOO SORRY!

For all you dedicated fans, my apologies for being so crummy at my postings.

THE UPDATE: Score for me, points for the other team, too...

I had to postpone the meeting with the surgeon at Rush. Chemo these days takes longer than I anticipated...3 1/2 hours when it runs smoothly. With the pre-meds (the goo I get before the chemo) I actually sleep the majority of the time- it's Benadryl- go figure. Lesson learned- don't try to do too much on chemo day.
So, Friday, June 13 I put chemo at one hour earlier and the meeting w/ Dr. Witt one hour later. I now have 4 cycles of this round complete with 8 left to go...YAHOO!!!


Dr. Witt was wonderfully patient and thorough with all my tests, scans, etc. Basically, because of the original size of the tumor and to avoid the risk of return of cancer, I will have a mastectomy 3 weeks after chemo is finished. That puts it around the 2nd week of September. I was grateful he actually gave his opinion. That's hard to come by, actually, in the medical world. Now, the real question is whether or not to have both removed. What a wonderful thought to ponder day in and day out during the summer. Dave's vote is double D...Harrison said, "What, we're going to Dunkin Donuts?" More appointments: plastic surgeon, oncologist and lots of research and talks with others who have had this marvelous opportunity. Lucky me.

Those are points for my team, however, the opponents get some, too.
Bridget was doing remarkably well for almost 3 months. A week and half ago she started exhibiting tremors, shaky spells. Fortunately, we had an appointment w/ the neurologist that week. He says this is not uncommon. It's almost like a seizure wants to come out. So, we increase, ever so slightly, her medication. This, too has it's baggage. Side effects are a bitch. She gets dizzy, sleepy and clumsy. We are in the process of ironing out the glitches.

It is my nature to be optimistic, but I have to admit that this is a let down. As any parent knows, you forget about yourself when your child is in trouble. As far as this cancer thing goes, it's ancillary. Bridget is primary.

I will keep you posted..really.
Love to all

4 comments:

Katie said...

We love you ,Sara. Anytime we can help, let us know. Do you think Harrison might like to spend a few days with Grandma and Grandpa? Think about July 3. Invite anyone in your family who might like to come and also the Scales and the McNulty's. We'll talk soon. Hang in!! Love, Katie

Kevin Lambert said...

Sara
tuning in daily. know that i'm pulling for you hard in AZ; the team spirit is high over here. i just hope you get a break one of these days. thanks for keeping me informed...
love you, and love to your crew

Terrie S said...

Hey Sara! Hang in there! Hope to see you in August! Love you. Terrie and Pete

mary kay morgan said...

Sara,

You sound like you are keeping a remarkably positive attitude. And that is EXTREMELY important. Always remember to laugh. (then cry, then laugh). It is the only thing that can keep you sane. You are in my thoughts often. Hang in there trooper!

Mary Kay